Assistant to the Chair - Radiation Oncology
Provides administrative and business support to the Chairperson or other faculty as requested by the Chairperson independently.
The Department of Radiation Oncology provides multidisciplinary, state of the art therapy that utilizes techniques such as stereotactic radiosurgery, intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), three dimensional treatment planning, brachytherapy, and intraoperative radiation therapy at four convenient locations. We are dedicated to improving treatment outcomes of all diseases treated with radiation and to finding new medical uses of radiation. Related to these goals is the education of graduate students, post-doctoral students and residents who will enter the field of radiation medicine including the allied field of Medical Physics.
Our team provides state-of-the-art anti-cancer therapy for patients through the use of new technology and continuous review of patient treatment outcome. We will continue to evaluate and improve the therapeutic effects of radiation from five fronts:
- Basic science research to identify new biological modifiers and therapeutic targets.
- Interaction with industry (pharmaceutical, imaging and radiotherapy) to validate the efficacy of new therapeutic tools.
- Medical physics research to improve the accuracy, precision and methods of radiotherapy delivery.
- Clinical research to study the benefits of new therapy treatments in patients.
- Development of new radiotherapy facilities throughout the region to provide the best care for all patients.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Additional Key Elements/ Responsibilities:
- Performs key administrative functions that support the Chair's leadership in department's patient care, research and educational activities.
- Manages multifaceted department logistics and Chair's calendar for meetings and conferences, including travel and catering.
- Works closely with other team members to assure the Chairperson's preparation for meetings, presentations or other engagements.
- Compiles and prepares correspondence and other materials for the Chairperson.
- Provides administrative support for internal and external committees.
- Serves as an ambassador to internal and external constituents.
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
- Provides executive administrative support to the Chair, Medical Director and Chief of Physics
- Coordinates clinical, board related and meeting calendars for Chair including both professional and personal travel arrangements
- Coordinates all recruitment efforts with Chair
- Responsible for credentialing, licensure and privileges for faculty
- Staff department Appointment and Promotions Committee; draft agendas, prepare materials and take minutes
- Responsible for managing and coordinating seminars, retreats and faculty visits to department
- Supervise Executive Secretary Senior and Administrative Assistant I to ensure efficient and effective administrative support throughout the department; align assignments as needed
- Staff weekly managers meeting; draft agendas, prepare materials and take minutes
- Develop, maintain and distribute as appropriate monthly departmental reports for chair pillar goals and department activities
- Composes and prioritizes all business communications, with authority to respond on behalf of Chair independently and with professional quality
- Manages meeting schedules with detailed precision
- Responsible upkeep of CME and MOC recording
- Coordinates and maintains all licensure and credentials for Chair
- Maintains records with all national and international Boards and Committees for CV and NIH Biosketch
- Maintains accounts, including the need for frequent expense reports for various functions and travel
- Deals discreetly with highly sensitive, confidential written, electronic and oral communications concerning staff, department, and hospital matters
CLERICAL/ADMINISTRATIVE (ADVANCED): Clerical/Administration is a skill which includes most clerical and administrative functions typically carried out by secretaries, administrators and others who perform a clerical role. Among the duties are: Ad Hoc Reporting, Calendar Maintenance, Data Entry, Document Duplication, Document Filing and Maintenance, Document Preparation, Employee Record Maintenance, Employee Time Recording, Faxing and Electronic Mailing, Inventory Management, Mail Sorting and Distribution, Meeting Coordination and Scheduling, Message Management, Receptionist Tasks, Special Projects, Spreadsheet Preparation, Travel Arrangements, and Word Processing and Typing.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (ADVANCED): A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
AD HOC REPORTING (INTERMEDIATE): The ability to access information from databases and prepare reports.
NETWORKING (INTERMEDIATE): Build relationships through industry contacts, professional organizations and individuals.
PURCHASING - (INTERMEDIATE): Experienced in authorizing and administering procurement contracts and contract changes within designated commitment authority. Has had a prominent role in procurement, materials management, sourcing and logistics management, and supply chain management that fall within the scope of responsibility. Acts as an authorized agent of the company with responsibility for managing supplier-related activities and authority to commit company resources through contracts and agreements. Keeps current on competitors' buying practices. Conducts studies for new materials and services. Works with Sales and Marketing to translate a sales forecast into a procurement plan.
HUMAN RESOURCES POLICIES AND PROCEDURES (NOVICE): Knowledge, adherence and application of human resources policies and procedures.
- Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
- Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES:
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY:
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY:
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.