At Banner - University Medical Group (BUMG), we're creating a world class medical organization that brings together a leadership team committed to a physician-focused structure, while navigating the challenges of moving from a volume-based to value-based health care system.
The Banner University Heart Institute cares for a high volume of heart disease patients throughout the state of Arizona and the southwest. Our physicians stand out as being active participants in national research and as providers of cardiac training to physicians from all over the United States and the world. Our goal is to offer patients excellent cardiac services by providing safe, compassionate care and the best advanced treatment options.
This is a full time (40 hours/week), day shift position: Monday - Friday 8:00A-5:00P
University Medical Center Phoenix PBCs Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for coordinating referral orders for a continuation of treatment, such as specialty services and diagnostic testing within a multispecialty practice. This position provides all pertinent clinical information needed for the payor authorization and the facility or specialist prior to the services being rendered. The position acts as a liaison between the patient and the specialty area by navigating the appointment process, and ensuring that proper authorization(s) are obtained for the appointment, to provide a seamless experience for our patients. This position is responsible for tracking and managing all referrals with the intention and outcome to close any patient care gaps, along with providing documentation to promote team awareness.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Schedules and/or coordinates the scheduling of appointments for incoming referrals to assigned specialty physician services and/or diagnostic testing per provider request and communicates with the patient on a timely basis for all scheduling requirements.
2. Schedules and/or coordinates the scheduling and authorizations for provider pre-planned in office procedures ordered by assigned specialty(ies).
3. Acts as a liaison between patients, providers, departments and staff members for patients' referral and follow up needs. Provides prompt and professional service for the patients by assisting in educating patient/family and assisting patients with external resources when needed.
4. Collaborates with providers and departments of assigned specialty(ies) to determine all CPT Codes provider will need authorized before appointment.
5. Provides all pertinent clinical information needed for the payor authorization, the facility or specialist prior to the services being rendered by verifying coverage, obtaining authorization and communicating with receiving facilities for incoming referrals as well as pre-planned in office procedures.
6. Reviews upcoming provider schedules to ensure all appointments have appropriate referral and authorizations required for anticipated visits and procedures.
7. Applies knowledge of medical terminology, ICD-10 and CPT Codes and maintains up to date knowledge of insurance environment. Utilizes internal and external resources to seek knowledge about regulations regarding various payor sources.
8. Collaborates with outside referral sources and other community resources. Maintains an updated list of community resources and networks with colleagues to develop additional referral sources.
9. This position has frequent communications with patients, physicians, staff, departments and third-party payers. The position must work with and understand the concepts of managed health care and be able to prioritize tasks within established guidelines with minimal supervision.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Requires knowledge of medical terminology, ICD-10, CPT Codes and a broad understanding of all common insurance and payor types and authorization requirements, normally acquired over a two or more years of work experience in the healthcare field. Strong knowledge in the use of common office software, word processing, spreadsheet, EMR software are required. Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision and to work independently. Requires strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to effectively interact with a wide range of audiences. Knowledge of HIPAA regulations. Strong customer service focus and willingness to problem solve.
Previous knowledge of managed care concepts. Working knowledge of medical terminology and ICD-10and CPT codes.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.