Operating a hospital is more than IV bags and trauma rooms. One might be surprised by the number of people - and the hats they wear - who work behind the scenes to make sure a hospital runs smoothly and safely for our patients, visitors and staff. Each one plays a critical role and is part of a team to ensure the best care for our patients.
The state's largest hospital, part of the Banner Health system, is an important clinical education site for the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. With some 733 beds, Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix (formerly Banner Good Samaritan) has served the area for more than 100 years and is known as a top teaching hospital.
The Culinary and Nutrition Services Department is committed to provide excellent services to our visitors and staff! In addition, the department provides a full-service catering and a complete meal service to all patients! As a Senior Food Service Worker, you will have an opportunity to work with a well- established culinary team and grow your career at Banner Health! You will work in Lulu's cafe helping prep food, serve and check out customers, clean up and stock. This is a full time position and shifts generally run between 5 or 6am - 2:00pm. Weekend rotations are required in this role. Plus you will enjoy an additional flat rate $1/hour for weekend shift differential.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options, so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life
University Medical Center Phoenix Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position plans daily food production for assigned areas and produces all food items based on information obtained from cafe menus, catering requests and any other approved source. This position also performs cashiering and customer service duties in retail areas to provide accurate revenue collection and to assist in providing high quality customer service to customers.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Plans food production timing and quantities. In the event of shortage, determines menu substitutions. Minimizes food waste with appropriate planning and tracking. Records food shortages and excess quantities in accordance with department procedure. May take inventories of all food products and settle catering and interdepartmental food charges in computer program.
2. Prepares all food items according to standardized recipes. Adjusts recipe quantities for correct yields. Notifies supervisor of any problems relating to production.
3. Provides service to customers, meeting standards and guidelines. Responds to customer complaints and assists with problem resolution, appropriately escalating issues to supervisor, as needed.
4. Accurately records all sales in the Point of Sale System; transacts payments with customers. Stores, counts, deposits and maintains register cash and receivables in accordance with the policies and procedures of the facility. Runs reports to analyze sales and cash accuracy.
5. Maintains par levels of food and supplies in assigned areas, orders and/or restocks items in accordance with established routines, rotates food stocks, checks freshness dates. Checks and logs food and equipment temperatures and reports any problems to the supervisor. Reads thermometers and follows safety requirements.
6. Maintains all assigned stations, keeping them clean, well-stocked, and attractive at all times. Cleans and sanitizes dishes, flatware, trays, cups, glasses and cooking utensils. Also cleans and sanitizes designated equipment and kitchen areas disposing of all waste materials.
7. May also provider full-range of catering/special event services.
8. This positions works under general supervision and possesses a strong knowledge in cooking and food preparation skills and possesses the ability to resolve complex issues autonomously. This position is in contact with patients, other food service department personnel, hospital staff, visitors and families. This position must have excellent customer service skills and be able to resolve customer issues at the point of contact. This position must also function effectively in the absence of direct supervision, demonstrating good judgment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Must be able to learn food handling regulations and pass certification tests as required.
This position requires the knowledge and abilities in upscale food production normally acquired with two or more years of similar work experience in production cooking, plus a solid understanding of cooking principles, menu substitutions and recipe modifications. This position requires effective interpersonal communication skills, a friendly customer service attitude and the ability to accurately calculate and count change rapidly and repetitively. This position also requires the ability to function autonomously, exercising good judgment and organizational skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R21728
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.