The Chief of Medicine is clinically responsible to the Chief of Staff. The incumbent works to develop and promote high quality clinical service, research and education programs. The Chief, is responsible for management, budget, oversight, and implementation of services relating to the timely and efficient care of Veterans. The incumbent must be board certified in Internal Medicine and will have a faculty appointment at the affiliated Louisiana State University Health and Science Center commensurate with qualifications.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- May function independently as a member of the Medical Staff with full clinical privileges;
- Direct responsibility and accountability of operations of Cardiology, Dermatology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, General Internal Medicine, Hematology/Oncology, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology, Pulmonary/Sleep, and Rheumatology;
- Assumes complete professional responsibility for clinical assessments, patient-care decisions and documentation;
- Provides consultation, direction , and coordination of care in all Medicine Services, ensuring the clinical quality and efficiency od care delivery;
- Provides direct supervision of all medicine specialty providers;
- Ensures credentialing and privileging requirements are met by all medicine services providers, including requirements for Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluation (OPPE) and Focused Professional Practice Evaluation (FPPE);
- Assists in design, development, and implementation of clinical programs;
- Complies with local and national performance standards;
- Attends and participates in administrative and informational meetings for the Medicine Service, Medical VA Care line, Chief of Staff and Medical Center Director;
- Adheres to policies and procedures established by the Central Office (VACO), the network (VISN 16) and local medical;
- Participates in clinical review process including tort claims, peer review, management reviews and administrative activities as directed by the Chief of Staff;
- Participates in Research/Quality Improvement activities;
- Participates in process improvement/quality assurance projects;
- Serves as a member of the facility medical staff and on the Executive Committee of the Medical Staff (ECMS);
- Qualifies for and maintains a faculty appointment at associate professor or full professor level at Louisiana State University Health and Science Center;
- Provides oversight for the education of medical students, residents and fellows rotating on the Medicine service;
- Fosters a culture of transparency, communication, collegiality and patient centered interdisciplinary team work.
Work Schedule: Full Time, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.,Monday through Friday (On call as required)
Functional Statement Title/#:Staff Physician (Chief Medical Service)
Physical Requirements: Standing, walking, lifting light loads, assisting patients with positioning and transfers. Must be able to use a computer to input orders, review reports, etc. Must be able to communicate directions and patient orders, review reports etc. Must be able to communicate directions and patient orders. Light lifting (under 15 lbs.), light carrying (under 15 lbs.), use of fingers, far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other, hearing (aid permitted), emotional stability, mental stability, working closely with others, working alone, and working with bio hazardous materials.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
* Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
* Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
* BLS is required.
Must qualify for academic appointment at affiliated medical school.
Preferred Experience: Minimum of five-years direct patient-care post-fellowship. Supervisory experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD-214(s), SF-15 (as applicable) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
*Other Veterans Document
If you are a current federal civilian employee, you must provide a copy of your last or most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" which reflects your grade and step. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate that you possess one year time-in-grade. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one year time-in-grade.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX -Occupational Questionnaire Form) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1949168
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you are unable to apply online by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, May 22, 2017, please contact the point of contact listed in the announcement.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire itemshttp://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.