The employee’s number one job responsibility is to deliver the most remarkable patient experience, in every dimension, every time, and understand how he or she contributes to the health system’s vision of achieving that commitment to patients and families.
The manager public relations will play a key role within the marketing and communications division, developing brand awareness and securing local and national press for Novant Health. The ideal candidate will have expertise in the strategic communications process of building mutually beneficial relationships between Novant Health and its publics with a strong focus on media relations within the assigned market.
1. Leadership: Provides consistent and fair oversight. Provides operational leadership and guidance for all core processes. Creates a system for ongoing education and staff development. Ensures staff have a valid licensure/credentials or other certifications if applicable. Embraces change necessary to improve efficiency and/or effectiveness and creates an environment for change/transition by empowering leaders and staff. Utilizes appropriate decision making strategy: command, consultative, or consensus. Acts with honesty and integrity showing and speaking with respect for the rights of others, human dignity, local culture and with regards to Novant’s mission, vision, and values. Demonstrates leadership skills including problem solving, delegation, and time management/organization. Provides oversight for process improvement projects. Conducts and engages leaders and staff in rapid-cycle testing. Identifies and facilitates removal of barriers identified that exist and impede established goals. Identifies resources required to achieve goals if current resources are insufficient. Focuses on collaborative partnerships to optimize key clinical and financial outcomes.
2. Communication: Creates an environment that supports and respects diversity to promote creative problem solving. Communicates the value of activities within the organization and community to gain cooperation and collaborative partnerships. Values employee engagement and employee satisfaction. Connects the dots for staff by communicating how the department fits into the organization and its relationship with internal and external resources, risks, goals and expectations. Consistently models Novant’s Mission, Vision and Values. Actively communicates and engages staff to improve systems. Ensures timely delivery of information delivered to appropriate audience.
3. Business Acumen: Maintains organizational policy and procedure, including rules of conduct. Provides project/process consultation to staff. Is innovative and thinks out of the box. Shows imagination through creative solutions. Displays interest and willingness to try new things; takes risks. Evaluates department data and determines whether the desired outcomes are being achieved. Develops and seeks approval for yearly operational budget and monitors department budget closely.
4. Quality Improvement: Demonstrates knowledge of process improvement principles and applies appropriately to improvement activities. Monitors quality of the department’s core processes. Manages the interdependence of processes both within and external to the department. Consistently reviews core processes, looking for improvement opportunities. Embraces change and acts as a change agent. Seeks opportunities to engage in educational opportunities as it relates to best practice, legal and regulatory changes. Coordinates the development of goals, objectives and action plans to achieve staff education and development. Monitors employee satisfaction results and works with direct reports and human resources business partner to develop action plans on areas of improvement. Monitors department data to help with understanding department strengths and weaknesses and opportunities for improvement. Reviews and updates job descriptions, department policies/procedures and other documents.
5. Customer Service: Holds staff accountable for customer service standards and ensures service recovery when needed. Ensures staff responds to customers in a timely manner. Monitors customer satisfaction scores and makes changes for improvement.
6. Human Resources: Provides ongoing informal and formal feedback to direct reports consistent with organizational policies and procedures. Coaches staff in developing plans to achieve career goals. Monitors, evaluates and coordinates workload trends and manages resources to meet department needs. Coordinates planning for human resource needs based on productivity and workload. Continually seeks to implement activities that reduce staff turnover rate.
7. Financial: Manages positions within the department to achieve quality and productivity, and meet budget. Determines and seeks appropriate approval for operational budget. Manages and oversees the departmental budget (measures, monitors, and balances human and material resources). Develops strategic plan, writes proposal, and seeks approval for necessary identified resources.
8. Public Relations Operations: Identify key media outlets, main client groups and audiences and determine the best way to communicate publicity information to them. Write interesting and effective press releases, prepare information for media kits and develop and maintain company internet or intranet web pages. Develop compelling story angles and public relations plans. Pitch stories to both national and local media.
Achieve highest visibility for in print, broadcast, TV and online media outlets. Develop and maintain the company's corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage. Identify media trends, news cycles and spin opportunities. Proactively manage editorial calendars. Analyze and measure results of PR programs. Manage budgets and campaign ROI as appropriate. Draft speeches for company executives, and arrange interviews and other forms of contact for them.
Develop and implement strategic PR programs to achieve significant increases in brand awareness. Evaluate advertising and promotion programs for integration with public relations efforts. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with local and municipal government officials as appropriate or in partnership with Novant Health government relations. Cultivate relationships with key media representatives and journalists in local, national, and trade publications.